fbpx

120th Anniversary

Head Start

CLC opened its doors in 1902 as Stamford Day Nursery. It was founded as part of the Settlement House Movement and was run by ‘women of manor houses’ to provide child care services to immigrants (influx from Ireland).

During World War II, a second center was opened to accommodate working mothers in the defense industry. In 1965, the Stamford Head Start Program began serving families and in 1969, the Stamford Day Care Program began with a grant from the City of Stamford as part of the state funded day care center initiative that focused on working poor families.

In 1972, the agency changed its name to Child Care Center of Stamford. Inc. and the following year moved the headquarters to the current location at 64 Palmers Hill Road.

In October, 1997, the School Readiness Program began with 96 children at Stark School, Coretta King, Chester Addison and Yerwood Day Care Centers and in October, 1998 the Early Head Start Program opened.

In January, 1999 the Hillandale Child Development Center opened with 350 slots. In September, 1999, School Readiness opened in the Stillmeadow Elementary School.

In May, 2002 Mayor Dannel Malloy announced an agency name change to Childcare Learning Centers. Then in 2016, the name was changed to Children’s Learning Centers.

CLC’s History in Photos

On October 26, 1973, CLC broke ground on our Palmers Hill location which replaced our facility at 177 Broad Street! Here, Jeanne Ellis supervised some of the children at the groundbreaking.